Education & Certification
Fordham University (1976)
National Register Member Since
David MacIsaac, PhD
I am a licensed psychologist in NJ and NY with over 35 years experience. As a certified psychoanalyst, I treat individuals on a once weekly basis, or more often if desired . I am a co-founder of the Institute for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy of New Jersey as well as co-founder and Director of the New Jersey Branch of the New York Institute for Psychoanalytic Self Psychology.
I am co-author with Crayton Rowe of “Empathic Attunement: The ‘Technique’ of Psychoanalytic Self Psychology,” a summarizing volume–appealing to beginners as well as experienced clinicians–of the theory and practice of Heinz Kohut, the most revolutionary theorist in psychoanalysis since Sigmund Freud.
My treatment approach is defined by empathy, an observational stance that allows the clinician to view the world of the client within his/her own experience. In other words it is “stepping into the shoes of another,” “seeing the world through their eyes,” or thinking and feeling oneself into inner life of the other. My interventions are ones informed by that empathic perspective that leads to an ever-expanding understanding and trust that deepens the therapeutic bond and fosters growth.
Areas of Expertise
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Borderline and Antisocial Personality Disorders
- Medical Diagnosis Adjustment (e.g., diabetes, cancer, hypertension, weight issues, other chronic illness)
- Gender Issues (e.g., gender roles and equality, prejudice, male vulnerability and masculinity, feminist principles)
- Adults (18-64 yrs.)
- Adolescents (13-17 yrs.)
- Older adults (65 yrs. or older)
- Psychodynamic Treatment
- American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) - Psychoanalysis in Psychology
- Licensed Psychologist in NJ and NY
- Member, American Psychological Association and New
Jersey since 1971
- Ph.D. degree, Fordham University, 1976
- Certificate in Psychoanalysis, NY Center for
Psychoanalytic Training, 1983
- Member, National Register of Health Service
Psychologists since 1980
- Fellow, American Board of Professional Psychology,
- Diplomate in Psychoanalysis, ABPP, 1996
Fee Information/Office Policy
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
7:30am to 7:00 pm
Office phone: 201-569-0566
Health Care Plan Participation
Sessions are at a minimum of once weekly, more often if the individual wishes.
The couch is encouraged, not required, as a facilitating tool in the treatment process.
I am out of network for all insurances including medicare from which I have “opted out.”
I do not have a sliding scale and my fee can be discussed in the initial session or contact.
163 Engle St, Bldg. 1A
Englewood, NJ 07631
P: 201-569-0566 (Office)