Education & Certification
District of Columbia
Fordham University (2006)
National Register Member Since
Elspeth Bell, PhD
Dr. Elspeth Bell is a licensed psychologist with an extensive background and training in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). She works primarily with adults and adolescents, focusing on the treatment of Hoarding Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and other anxiety disorders, depression, and interpersonal difficulties.
A recognized expert in working with Hoarding Disorder, Dr. Bell conducts assessments and evaluations, provides psychotherapy for sufferers and family members, and runs psychoeducational and support groups. Dr. Bell has collaborated with area Hoarding Task Forces, presented at national conferences, and conducted workshops for professionals, those struggling with clutter, and families.
Dr. Elspeth Bell received her Bachelor’s degree in psychology at Vassar College. She received both her Master’s in psychology and Doctorate in clinical psychology from Fordham University, with an emphasis on cognitive behavioral therapies and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Her doctoral dissertation examined the relationship between childhood OCD and family-related anxieties. Dr. Bell completed her pre-doctoral internship at the John L. Gildner Regional Institute for Children and Adolescents (JLG-RICA) in Rockville, Maryland.
Dr. Bell currently resides in Howard County with her husband and daughter. Despite being a long-time Maryland resident, she still remains a Yankees fan. In addition to following baseball, she spends her free time exercising, scrapbooking, spending time with friends and family, and completing DIY projects around the house. Dr. Bell enjoys working on the clutter in her own home with the assistance of her little girl (who has single-handedly introduced an amazing amount of stuff – mostly sharp plastic toys and Cheerios – into Dr. Bell’s life).Learn more about me on my website: www.elspethbellphd.com
Areas of Expertise
- Anxiety (e.g., generalized anxiety, phobia, panic, obsessive-compulsive disorder)
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Depression and Other Mood Disorders (e.g., bipolar disorder, major depression, bereavement)
- Adults (18-64 yrs.)
- Adolescents (13-17 yrs.)
- Licensed in Maryland, Virginia, and District of Columbia.
- Professional Affiliations:
- American Psychological Association
- Maryland Psychological Association
- Anxiety Disorder Association of America
- International Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Foundation
- OCD Mid-Atlantic (IOCDF Affiliate)
- Trichotillomania Learning Center
- Howard County Hoarding Coalition
- City of Gaithersburg Hoarding Task Force
Fee Information/Office Policy
Some sliding scale.
Preferred method of consumer contact:
Phone or email.
Does Not Accept Insurance