Education & Certification
Stony Brook University/SUNY (1977)
National Register Member Since
Jay Jemail, PhD
This is a small practice in a country setting grounded on 40 years of experience. It is moved by a sincere desire to promote healing and support independence. Paramount to the therapy process is the development of a relationship based on mutual respect and trust. Our work is guided by a balance of knowledge drawn from research, clinical work as well as a good dose of common sense. Her background in science and research adds a biomedical perspective to the practice. She works in collaboration with referrals from medical professionals as well as holistic practioners in alternative medical fields.
Dr. Jemail personally handles phone calls, appointment schedules and billing. She is bilingual (English and Spanish) and directly accessible via phone in case of need for brief consultations between sessions. Teletherapy is an option.
Treatment modalities include cognitive/behavioral, psychodynamic, humanistic, and biomedical. The focus could be the individual, couple or family. When a child is the focus, parents are an integral part of the treatment following a family/systems approach. Dr. Jemail trained and developed expertise in the diagnosis of psychological/relationship problems, anxiety, depression, personality disorders as well as in the assessment of learning needs. Dr. Jemail has researched and published on topics including adolescent development, the assessment and treatment of sexual dysfunctions and marital therapy.
Areas of Expertise
- Couples Therapy (e.g., relationship communication difficulty, premarital consultation, divorce mediation)
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Family Therapy (e.g., parent-child problems, divorce with kids, family illness)
- Depression and Other Mood Disorders (e.g., bipolar disorder, major depression, bereavement)
- General Psychological Testing (e.g., intelligence, personality, vocational, aptitude, school placement, health)
- Adults (18-64 yrs.)
- Adolescents (13-17 yrs.)
- Children (3-12 yrs.)
- Older adults (65 yrs. or older)
Languages Spoken Other Than English
- Family Systems
- Neuropsychological Testing
- Sex Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Psychodynamic Treatment
- National Register of Health Service Psychologists
Fee Information/Office Policy
- Will provide receipt for reimbursement.