Education & Certification
Alliant International University - Los Angeles (2000)
National Register Member Since
Joan Calandra, PhD
Dr. Joan Calandra specializes in psychodynamic psychotherapy. This approach focuses on helping the client become consciously aware of what unconsciously influences behaviors, leading to symptoms such as depression and anxiety. During regular meetings clients are encouraged to speak freely in order to access thoughts, feelings and memories. The process involves exploring past experiences and relationships in order to understand their influence on present life. The connection between therapist and client is critical in the promotion of growth and healing. Relief occurs through the recognition and bearing of painful emotions, and development of self awareness and self acceptance. In addition to symptom relief, this type of treatment can lead to deeper relationships and a sense of meaning and direction in life.
Conditions Dr. Calandra treats:
- Anxiety /Stress/Panic Attacks
- Trauma (Posttraumatic Stress/ Acute Stress)
- Body Image Issues
- Eating Disorders
- Low Self Esteem
- Relationship Difficulties/Marital problems
- Self-Improvement/Personal Growth
Dr. Calandra offers:
- Individual Psychotherapy with Children and Adults
- Couples or Marital Psychotherapy
- Family Therapy
Areas of Expertise
- Career and Life Adjustments (occupational/career counseling and assessment, academic problems, financial issues, relocation stress, stress associated with other life changes)
- Anxiety (e.g., generalized anxiety, phobia, panic, obsessive-compulsive disorder)
- Depression and Other Mood Disorders (e.g., bipolar disorder, major depression, bereavement)
- Couples Therapy (e.g., relationship communication difficulty, premarital consultation, divorce mediation)
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Adolescents (13-17 yrs.)
- Older adults (65 yrs. or older)
- Adults (18-64 yrs.)
- Children (3-12 yrs.)
- Psychodynamic Treatment
- National Register of Health Service Psychologists
- Licensed clinical psychologist
- Registered Nurse/ Certified Psychiatric Clinical Nurse Specialist
Fee Information/Office Policy
Therapy is strictly confidential and private.
Appointment times are mutually agreed upon by client and therapist.
Therapy sessions last 50 minutes.
A reduction in the standard fee is provided in certain instances.
Call Dr. Calandra for more information and to discuss how psychotherapy might help you.
Office Hours: Weekday and evening appointments available
Health Care Plan Participation
Dr. Calandra is a contracted provider to several health insurance companies.
11340 West Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064
P: 310-914-3190 (Office)