Education & Certification
University of Michigan (1975)
National Register Member Since
Joan Sarnat, PhD
I specialize in both short term and long term psychotherapy with young adults, adults, and couples. I am trained to adapt the treatment to the individual, sometimes working once weekly, and if indicated and desired, as frequently as four times weekly. I have six years of intensive post doctoral clinical training, and have published extensively. My advanced training makes it possible for me to help you to deepen your process of self exploration– when and if this feels right to you. I have been in practice for over 30 years and have experience with a wide range of situations and problems, including working with mothers of infants and children, young adults who are stuck in addressing career and/or relationship difficulties, and couples and individuals struggling with the trauma of divorce.
Areas of Expertise
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Couples Therapy (e.g., relationship communication difficulty, premarital consultation, divorce mediation)
- Career and Life Adjustments (occupational/career counseling and assessment, academic problems, financial issues, relocation stress, stress associated with other life changes)
- Anxiety (e.g., generalized anxiety, phobia, panic, obsessive-compulsive disorder)
- Adults (18-64 yrs.)
- Older adults (65 yrs. or older)
- Psychodynamic Treatment
- American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) - Clinical Psychology
- Licensed in Psychology in California #PSY 13871
- National Register of Health Service Psychologists, Certificate #30189.
- Member, American Psychological Association
- Member, Northern California Society for Psychoanalytic Psychology.
- Member, California Psychological Association.
- Member, Faculty, Personal and Supervising Analyst, The Psychoanalytic Institute of Northern California
Fee Information/Office Policy
Office Hours:9:30 AM -6:30 PM, M – Th
Health Care Plan Participation
I do not work directly with insurance companies, although you may seek insurance reimbursement if you so choose.