Education & Certification
University of Maryland - College Park (1983)
National Register Member Since
Joanne Irving, PhD
I believe that having quality relationships with other people and being involved in meaningful work/activities are central to our entire experience of life. Having been in practice for over 25 years, I know that when it comes to helping people, “one size does not fit all” so I have learned and use a variety of approaches to meet my clients’ needs. I help my clients access their inner resources, deepen their self awareness, develop strategies for overcoming obstacles, break old habits, and learn coping skills to face the inevitable stresses of life.
For the past 12 years, the primary focus of my practice has been couples therapy. So, in addition to my education and experience as a psychologist-psychotherapist, I have taken specialized training in couples therapy, have had extensive post graduate work in Family Systems therapy, Relationship Enhancement therapy and Imago therapy. For 16 years, I have been in a consultation group that focuses on increasing expertise in couples therapy. Finally, I am currently completing my certification from ASSECT in Sex therapy.Learn more about me on my website: www.the-chrysalis-group.com
Areas of Expertise
- Couples Therapy (e.g., relationship communication difficulty, premarital consultation, divorce mediation)
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Family Therapy (e.g., parent-child problems, divorce with kids, family illness)
- LGBT Issues (e.g., workplace, academic or personal discrimination, stigma, gender assignment evaluation, gender identity)
- Consultation to Businesses or Organizations (e.g., industrial organization, executive coaching, organization consultation)
- Adults (18-64 yrs.)
- Adolescents (13-17 yrs.)
- Dr. Irving is a certified Imago Relationship Therapist, a graduate of Mentor-Coach and has extensive post doctoral training in Gestalt therapy, hypnosis, cognitive-behavioral therapy and marital/couples counseling.
- She is a member of the Maryland Psychological Association, the American Psychological Association, the International Coaching Federation and the Mid-Atlantic Association of Imago Therapists.
Fee Information/Office Policy
I do accept credit cards. Fees are available upon request., email or phone.
Health Care Plan Participation
I do not participate in health insurance plans, but will provide the necessary documentation for the client to file.
4405 East West Hwy, #301
Bethesda, MD 20814
P: 301-983-5788 (Office)