Education & Certification
Auburn University (1970)
National Register Member Since
John Sample, PhD
In my established career as a Clinical Psychologist with children, adolescents, and adults in individual and couples therapy, I have realized the positive impact of creating and maintaining a safe, nonjudgmental environment for my clients to fully engage in the therapy process. By fully participating in the their own journey to mental health, my clients are able to increase self-esteem, improve intimacy, and develop greater introspection.
I work with children, adolescents and adults who are experiencing depression, anxiety, loss, difficult life transitions, parenting issues, divorce, career conflicts and those trying to cope with unexpected events.
I have extensive training and experience in working with couples to help them learn to better communicate with each other. We look at the obstacles to improved intimacy and commit to a plan to resolve each issue.
My practice has expanded to include contact with family court systems, including child custody evaluations and child custody evaluation reviews, consultation to family law attorneys, and giving testimony as an expert witness.
Consultation and teaching other mental health professionals have become a large part of my practice. I have led several consultation groups for experienced clinicians working with families of divorce and have done individual consultation for mental health professionals interested in divorce-related work.Learn more about me on my website: www.webdevgroup.com
Areas of Expertise
- PTSD/Traumatic Response (e.g., combat stress, loss, injury, sexual assault)
- Abuse/Neglect (e.g., domestic violence, child physical/sexual/emotional abuse, elder abuse/neglect)
- Depression and Other Mood Disorders (e.g., bipolar disorder, major depression, bereavement)
- Family Therapy (e.g., parent-child problems, divorce with kids, family illness)
- Infants (0-2 yrs.)
- Adolescents (13-17 yrs.)
- American Board of Professional Neuropsychology (ABN) - Professional Neuropsychology
- American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) - Cognitive and Behavioral Psychology
- American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) - Clinical Neuropsychology
- American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) - Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology
- American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) - Psychoanalysis in Psychology
- College of Professional Psychology of the APA Practice Organization (CPP) - Treatment of Alcohol and other Psychoactive Substance Use Disorders
- National Register of Health Service Psychologists
- American Psychological Association
- Virginia Psychological Association
Fee Information/Office Policy
Hours: M-F 9:00am- 5:00pm
There is an initial intake session billed at $190/hour as well as an initial assessment tool billed at $140/hour. Each session lasts 50-60 minutes and is billed at $140/hour. Psychological evaluations are billed at $190/hour. I offer a sliding scale.
Health Care Plan Participation
I participate in most major health plans: Aetna, Medica, Medicare, UBH Health Partners Preferred, One Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Please contact the office for more information if your plan is not listed.
This psychologist has elected not to publish contact information.