Education & Certification
George Washington University (2005)
National Register Member Since
Maria Dittrich, PhD
Dr. Dittrich has been in private practice at Commonwealth Psychological Associates since 2003.
Dr. Dittrich specializes in couples therapy and also counsels patients struggling with anxiety, adjustment issues, and depression. She also has specialized training in the Collaborative Divorce program. She finds inspiration for her work in the potential that all people can be in loving, caring, communicative relationships.
Dr. Dittrich first joined our practice as an advanced doctoral student completing her Externship. The following year she completed her Internship in psychology at South Florida State Hospital and returned to Commonwealth Psychological Associates to complete her two-year Residency training. She has continued with CPA since that time, serving now as Senior Staff Psychologist.
Dr. Dittrich earned her doctorate degree in clinical psychology from The George Washington University where she also served as graduate Co-Director of the Meltzer Psychological Services Center and as Clinical Professor in the Department of Psychology. She has also served as an academic contributor to the APA Dictionary of Psychology.Learn more about me on my website: www.cwpsych.com
Areas of Expertise
- Individual Psychotherapy
- LGBT Issues (e.g., workplace, academic or personal discrimination, stigma, gender assignment evaluation, gender identity)
- Couples Therapy (e.g., relationship communication difficulty, premarital consultation, divorce mediation)
- Career and Life Adjustments (occupational/career counseling and assessment, academic problems, financial issues, relocation stress, stress associated with other life changes)
- Anxiety (e.g., generalized anxiety, phobia, panic, obsessive-compulsive disorder)
- Adults (18-64 yrs.)
- Older adults (65 yrs. or older)
- Dr. Dittrich is a member of the National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology, the American Psychological Association (APA), the Society of Clinical Psychology (APA Division 12), the Society of Consulting Psychology (APA Division 13), the Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian Gay and Bisexual Issues (APA Division 44), and the Virginia Psychological Association.
Fee Information/Office Policy
Health Care Plan Participation
Commonwealth Psychological Associates PLC
6801 Whittier Avenue
McLean, VA 22101
P: 703-734-0787 (Office)