Education & Certification
Adelphi University (1974)
National Register Member Since
Susan Kavaler-Adler, PhD
I am a psychologist and psychoanalyst who has practiced for four decades. I work with trauma of all kinds as an internationally known Object Relations theorist, clinician and teacher. My books (5) and my articles (over 65) demonstrate my passion for the creative process and for the mourning process as part of progressive developmental treatment, where each person discovers how to overcome blocks and self sabotage that interfere with the full evolution of one’s own unique voice and personality and the evolution of intimacy and success in one’s life. I engage deeply with each individual, so that the creative, erotic, and spiritual aspects of their beings can develop. I began practicing at a very young age, just after receiving my Ph.D. at 24. I trained at NIP, the National Institute for the Psychotherapies, where I also served on their faculty and as a supervisor. I also taught for the Postgraduate Center for Mental Health for many years, and did my supervisory training there. In 1991 I founded my own state chartered psychoanalytic training institute, The Object Relations Institute for Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis.
In addition to being a psychologist, psychoanalyst, and training analyst, I have been a dancer and writer all my life. My ability to both sense deep feelings and connections through sensory body experience, and to use my verbal abilities as a writer who is always writing books and articles, allow me to tune into all dimensions of those people I work with in my clinical practice. I have won 15 awards for my writing in the clinical psychoanalytic, trauma treatment field, including a Gradiva Award from NAAP, the National Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis. My books are described on my website www.kavaleradler.com. My books have been published by Routledge and Karnac presses in London, and two of the creativity books have been republished by ORI Academic Press. Two of my books are on well-known women writers and artists, and how their creative process brings into vision their primal traumas and losses. I am known for theories on “Developmental Mourning” and “The Demon Lover Complex,” for clinical theory on facing one’s regrets as an avenue to transformation, and for my theory of psychic health as a “Love-Creativity Dialectic.” All my books are available on Amazon.com. Podcasts of two of my books, “The Anatomy of Regret…” and “The Compulsion to Create: Women Writers and Their Demon Lovers” can be heard through the New Books in Psychoanalysis website.
Creativity, Intimacy, and Self Expression have always been particular areas of sensitivity for me in my practice, along with focusing on losses in love and in early life. My group work also reflects this. Those who wish to write, in any form of writing, can join my monthly writing group.
To view the upcoming workshops and groups I am leading, please visit http://orinyc.org/Calendar%20of%20ORI%20Events.html.
My youtube videos on different topics are at my institute’s website: http://www.orinyc.org
Special Upcoming Workshop for Online Participation:
2017 ORI’s Annual Conference
For CEU information, registration rates, payments – visit http://orinyc.org/conf.html or write to ORI administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org/ call at 646-522-1056
Areas of Expertise
- Anxiety (e.g., generalized anxiety, phobia, panic, obsessive-compulsive disorder)
- Borderline and Antisocial Personality Disorders
- Depression and Other Mood Disorders (e.g., bipolar disorder, major depression, bereavement)
- Career and Life Adjustments (occupational/career counseling and assessment, academic problems, financial issues, relocation stress, stress associated with other life changes)
- Group Psychotherapy
- Adults (18-64 yrs.)
- Older adults (65 yrs. or older)
- Adolescents (13-17 yrs.)
- Psychodynamic Treatment
- American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) - Clinical Psychology
- American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) - Psychoanalysis in Psychology
- I have a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology (1974) and am certified as a psychoanalyst and as a diplomat of psychoanalysis. I also have an Honorary Doctorate in Literature. I am a Fellow of the American Board and Academy of Psychoanalysis. I am a Training Analyst for many institutes, including the institute where that I founded, where I serve as the Executive Director, the Object Relations Institute for Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis. I continually teach in my field, supervise individuals and groups, and conduct educational Training Analysis, where learning takes place from the inside/out. I am a member of many professional organizations, including the Postgraduate Psychoanalytic Society, the Division of Psychoanalysis for the American Psychological Association (Division 39), and the Division of Psychoanalysis for the New York State Psychological Association (NYSPA).
- Other degrees: D.Litt., NCPsyA
Fee Information/Office Policy
- I give bills with insurance codes for out-of-network insurance.
- I do have a range of fees.