Find a Psych Toolkit
Why Find a Psychologist?
We all face stressors that throw life out of balance and affect our peace of mind. Finding someone to talk to about these issues is an important step towards attaining healthy physical and mental well-being. Psychologists are specially trained to help you meet the challenges you face, assist you in changing unhealthy behaviors, and deal with overwhelming situations.
Psychologists receive extensive training in assessment, diagnosis, and intervention. In fact, psychologists average six additional years of education and training after completing their undergraduate degree. Psychologists also obtain knowledge from strong evidence-based scientific research in the field and are required to have thousands of hours of practical supervised experience before they practice independently. This blend of education and experience allows psychologists to help you cope with life problems and work in collaboration with a primary care and family practice physician in the evaluation of your total health.
All psychologists listed on FindaPsychologist.org are licensed and credentialed by the National Register of Health Service Psychologists. For more information about the psychologists in our database, visit About Us.
Your Find a Psychologist Toolkit:
FindaPsychologist.org is dedicated to helping you find a psychologist who can meet your needs. You can search our database of licensed credentialed health service psychologists who meet the National Register’s credentialing quality standards. Below you will find a toolkit with tips to help you navigate your search.
Additional Online Resources:
- Meeting with a Psychologist: Overcoming Misconceptions
- Finding the Right Psychologist: For You and Your Partner
- A Look at Psychological Assessments
- Self-help and Individual Therapy: When Are They Beneficial?
- American Psychological Association: Understanding Psychotherapy and How It Works
- PsychCentral: Your First Psychotherapy Session
* If you need help searching our database of psychologists, feel free to contact Catherine@nationalregister.org or call (202) 783-7663.