Why Pick a Psychologist?
As you may have seen in our post about the different types of mental health providers there are a lot of options when it comes to mental health. Because there are so many options, what reasons do people have for seeing a licensed psychologist, as opposed to a different type of mental health provider? There are many potential reasons, but here are a few important ones:
- Of all mental health professionals, licensed psychologists generally have the most training in psychotherapy
- In addition to extensive training in psychotherapy, licensed psychologists may have more research experience than other types of mental health providers
- Licensed psychologists have specialized training in psychological assessments, which can provide useful supplemental information in a therapy setting
- Many licensed psychologists have training in multicultural competence for therapy, meaning they have experience working with a diverse group of people
- Licensed psychologists oftentimes charge less than psychiatrists and have comparable rates to other mental health providers
- Psychologists in Louisiana, New Mexico, the military, and the Indian Health Service can prescribe medication to improve mental health
There are many different types of mental health providers that are qualified to provide care. Due to their extensive training in psychotherapy and strong background with psychological assessment, licensed psychologists represent one excellent option for individuals seeking a mental health professional.
To find licensed psychologists near you, please search our database! All psychologists listed in the National Register database are licensed in at least one state. Our database is one of the largest selections of credentialed psychologists available online.